Malmesbury - History
The Triangle, known as Sheepfair beforehand, used to be the location of a bustling market outside of the original town gates. The area is now of course dominated by the First World War Memorial and the Three Cups Inn.
The First World War Memorial located at the Triangle was dedicated in March 1921, at a cost of £525 that was raised by public subscription. 74 men are remembered on the memorial, including one civilian. A Second World War Memorial can be found near the Town Bridge at the other end of town.
The site of the Three Cups Inn has been occupied by a pub since the 15th century, with the present building dating back to the 17th century. In its earlier history, Elizabethan cloth and yarn traders would stay here and in March 1643, it was reputedly the headquarters of General Waller when he was besieging the town during the English Civil War. By 1930, Stroud Brewery had renovated the pub, installing electric lights.
Vernon, Charles & Malmesbury Civic Trust., An Historical Guide to Malmesbury (Malmesbury Civic Trust, Chippenham: May, 2005).