The organisation resulted from combining four ex-Servicemen’s welfare bodies after the First World War under the leadership of Field Marshal Earl Haig and Sir Frederick Lister. The first Poppy Appeal was held in 1921 and the money used to support those who have served in the Armed Forces and their families.
In Malmesbury the Ivy Branch of the National Federation of Discharged & Demobilized Sailors and Soldiers was formed in May 1919 followed by a Post of the Comrades of the Great Was in June 1920. These disbanded and the Malmesbury Branch of the British Legion opened on 10th November 1921. The hopes to have an exhibition commemorating the branch’s history this November.
In view of the present Covid restrictions the Branch joined the national celebrations in a low key way when the Treasurer, Charles Vernon and Secretary, Ian Mace laid a wreath at the First World War Memorial on Saturday.
The Memorial in Malmesbury is also 100 years old, and was unveiled on March 20.