Wednesday, 19 February 2020 17:29

Man told to leave Job Centre coach alone after stalking order breach Featured

Written by
Rate this item
(0 votes)

AN alleged stalker was arrested on Valentine’s Day for breaching a temporary anti-stalking order imposed two days earlier.

Royal Wotton Bassett man Stewart Hendry, 32, is said to have bombarded his job centre-supplied life coach with 113 text messages over 12 hours last month.

He met the woman, who works for training company Seetec, after being referred to the organisation by the job centre last year.

Wiltshire Police applied to Swindon magistrates last Wednesday for a stalking protection order banning Hendry from contacting his former coach, her colleagues and going to the multi-storey car park opposite her workplace.

He opposed the application but officers were given an interim order ahead of a trial on April 17.

Hendry breached the order within a day when he called Seetec and told the woman’s workmate: “I’m not stalking her. She’s got the police involved.”

Prosecutor Keith Ballinger told Swindon Magistrates’ Court the complainant in the case had become very distressed when she was told he had called.

Police went to his home on Valentine’s Day to quiz him about the order breach.

He was arrested by PC Raimon Hartley and allowed to go to his bedroom to get dressed.

Hendry was sitting on the bed putting on his socks when he launched himself at the officer, pushing him with both hands and causing him to stumble back.

Interviewed by officers, Hendry said he had not fully understood the stalking order because he had “injured his head” while at court on Wednesday.

Appearing in the dock with a wound on his forehead, Hendry, of Queens Road, pleaded guilty to breaching an interim stalking protection order and assaulting an emergency worker.

Gareth James, defending, said his client had been referred to Seetec by the job centre.

“He is a gentleman who has learning difficulties, who struggles to cope with everyday life and needed support.”

At first there had been no issues between Hendry and his coach. But as the man’s mental health deteriorated the behaviour that got himself into trouble began.

The woman been in a meeting when he called. She had had no direct contact with him.

Magistrates fined him £160, deemed paid by time served in the cells.

When he was sentenced Hendry asked: “Shall I give her space, then?”

He was told by the bench: “Just leave her alone.”

Read this article on the Gazette and Herald here...

Read 963 times

Leave a comment

Please ensure that any comments you make are factually correct, friendly and not attacking individuals. We reserve the right to remove comments without notice.