Sunday, 02 August 2020 23:56

Wiltshire recorded 12 new coronavirus cases since last week Featured

Written by
Rate this item
(0 votes)

The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Wiltshire has increased by 12 since last week.

Public Health England figures show that 1,307 in the county had been tested positive for Covid-19 as of Sunday, August 2.

This is an increase from Friday where official figures recorded 1,295 cases of coronavirus in Wiltshire.

The infection rate now stands at 262.2 cases per 100,000 people. This is much lower than the average rate across England of 469.4.

On Friday, July 31, the prime minister announced that the reopening of Casinos, bowling alleys, skating rinks and remaining close contact services will remain closed ‘until August 15 at the earliest’.

Likewise, indoor performances will not resume.

BMA, the trade union which represents doctors across the UK said it was ‘pleased’ that the government had taken these steps – which the association called for in April.

However, BMA chair of council, Dr Chaand Nagpaul said that the delay ‘only highlights the inconsistencies’ in terms of the government message.

“Information about local infection rates, wearing masks and social distancing should be simple and as easily available as an advert on a bus shelter,” he said.

“The threat of a second wave is increasing daily and it is sensible that further easing of lockdown has been postponed.

“What does not make sense is the decision to remove, tomorrow, the protection for thousands of people who have been shielding without them being properly risk assessed and mitigations put in place to reduce their risk of infection – such as medical grade face masks.

“How can it be deemed right for those people to be put at increased risk when on the other hand the Prime Minister says theatres can’t open, concerts can go ahead and neither can small wedding celebrations?

“He’s also encouraging more people to go into their workplaces without offering any real support or clear guidance to either staff or employers if they feel it’s unsafe to do so.

“We started the pandemic with record waits in A&E and for cancer patients, and around 4.5 million patients on the waiting this for elective care.

“This backlog could now reach 10 million by the end of the year, and patients waiting over one year for treatment increased from around 1,600 in February to more than 26,000 in May.

“The latest ONS figures show there to be 4,200 new cases per day, compared with 2,800 the week ago.

“A second wave could prove catastrophic for the NHS; the Government must recognise that and provide clear effective plans to prevent it.

“At present, it feels more as if there is tinkering around the edge.”

Read this article on the Gazette and Herald here...

Read 466 times

Leave a comment

Please ensure that any comments you make are factually correct, friendly and not attacking individuals. We reserve the right to remove comments without notice.