The George Pig Practice is based at the main practice building in Malmesbury, but from here covers a large area of the South West, extending into the West Midlands and the South East of England.
Our service covers all aspects of pig production from large breeding companies to the small 'back-yard' producer. We service both indoor and outdoor herds with the individual requirements of the herd and farmer in mind.
Following the triad of health, management and welfare our facilities include:
- Health monitoring with routine sampling and abattoir checks. The practice is part of the British Pig Health Monitoring Scheme as well as undertaking independent abattoir checks.
- In-house laboratory facilities for routine bacteriology and parasitology
- Rapid investigation of disease problems on farm as well as regular routine advisory visits
- Provision of veterinary medicines and VMD prescriptions.
- Emphasis on husbandry and good management practice to prevent disease including vaccination protocols
- In-house performance monitoring
- Routine visits for farm assurance schemes encouraging best practice on farm to eliminate welfare problems
Other services provided:
- Tailor made on-farm training programmes.
- Regular “Pig Fair” style conference / seminar sessions covering relevant industry topics and new developments
- Work in conjunction with BPEX and other organizations to provide regional benchmarking groups and education programmes.